Killer arugula salad
- Nov 25th 2009
I seem to be a little recipe happy this week, I guess it’s got to do with Thanksgiving.
I was at the farmer’s market yesterday for some collard greens and I literally bumped into a table with some beautiful arugula (rocket to those of you on the other side of the pond,) and took some home with me.
This is the salad I whipped up thanks to leftovers in the fridge. Arugula is great for the liver and a perfect green to have when you’re over-indulging in unhealthy excesses. Too many cocktails last night? Have this for lunch and you’ll feel loads better.
- 3 or 4 handfuls of arugula, very well rinsed and dried off a little, this stuff can be gritty.
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- A handful of dried cranberries
- 1/2 of a leftover baked sweet potato, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Some small, red-skinned new potatoes, cut into quarters and boiled until just done, then cooled (I used about 6)
- About a tablespoon of young spreadable goat cheese
Get out a nice bowl and add everything but the cheese. Take 2 small spoons and make a few very small clumps of cheese (like a quarter teaspoon each) and add ‘em to the salad.
Now for the dressing:
- Take out your mortar & pestle and pour in a teaspoon of extra-virgin, cold pressed olive oil.
- Add 1/2 of an oil-cured anchovy and mash it up until you’ve got a paste.
- Add a pinch of Celtic Sea salt
- Add some more oil, I used less than 1/4 cup total.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice and mix really well.
- Taste and adjust to your liking.
- Dump over salad right before serving, toss really well and serve.
I wish we had some leftovers, I’d love this for lunch today.