My sister’s crunchy chickpea salad (Thanks Chris!)
- Jun 2nd 2010
It’s starting to get hot out there, perfect time of year for loads of salads. Cooling, crunchy, full of water and flavor, how could you not want to eat them all the time?
This one is from my sister Chris. It’s seriously easy, it’s also filling and delicious, perfect for after work or at a beach picnic. It’s better the next day, so make lots.
This salad has tons of nutrients and cancer fighting compounds. It’s also got a good amount of sulfur which helps to keep us looking and feeling our best. Your hair and skin will love this.
You’ll need (As always, get as much as you can either organic or local, extra points for ones that are both!):
- 1 can of garbanzo beans or chick peas (Look for BPA-free cans) rinsed really well
- Either half or a whole jicama peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- A few carrots, peeled and cut up
- A small bunch of radishes cut up
- A big handful of chopped parsley (I love this stuff and use tons)
Put all this into a good-sized bowl and get ready to prepare the dressing. You’ll need:
- 2 tablespoons of really good extra-virgin olive oil
- A little more than a tablespoon of really good balsamic vinegar
- A scant teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon of coarse Dijon mustard
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- Combine the dressing ingredients and mix really well. Adjust to your taste.
- Dress the salad, toss really well and serve.
- Sit back, appreciate the compliments and hope there’s leftovers for tomorrow.