Recipe: Sweet potatoes and kale in coconut milk
- Dec 7th 2011
It was experiment in the kitchen day and this dish which could either be a main or a side, is seriously good. It’s even better the day after.
I’ve been craving coconut and this took the edge off. Don’t freak out that coconut is high is saturated fat, it’s saturated with good fats, the kind that are healthy for you. That being said, no need to O.D. on coconut milk constantly.
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into large bite-sized pieces
- 4 small onions cut into quarters
- A bunch of kale, rinsed, stemmed and torn up into small pieces
- 1 can of coconut milk (full fat, soup can sized, like 13 ounces)
- A dash of paprika
- A dash or two or crushed chili pepper
- Sea salt to taste
Preheat the oven to 375 F
- Take the sweet potatoes and onions and put them in a shallow baking dish.
- Sprinkle on paprika and chili peppers and cover everything in coconut milk.
- Pop into the oven for about 40 minutes then take out, add kale and mix up really well. Put back into oven for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through. The coconut milk is going to evaporate and thicken up a lot, you’ll be left with a sort of “sauce”.
- Serve and enjoy, this would go beautifully either with fish, poultry or a grain.
This will stick to your ribs and satiate that sweet craving when it hits. It’s not too sweet though, it’s just right. A serving of this with brown rice kept me full and going during a long day at work and it’s ridiculously easy to make.