Recipe: Crock pot chicken with sweet potatoes
- Apr 5th 2012
I’m really into playing with my crock pot, last night I made this. It was really easy and delicious, especially after a long day.
You’ll need (as always, I recommend organic or locally grown with minimal pesticides):
- 2 sweet potaotes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 big yellow onion chopped into big pieces
- 6 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 8 oz organic chicken broth
- About 1/2 cup saki
- 8 organic chicken thighs
- A bunch of scallions, cleaned, with roots trimmed and cut about an inch above where the green starts
- A pinch or two of Celtic sea salt
- 2 pats of butter
- A big pinch of each- Rosemary, thyme and sage
- Take the potatoes and put them in the crock pot first.
- Then scatter the onion on top.
- Toss the garlic in there, and pour the broth and saki over the veggies.
- Heat up a large skillet and brown the chicken skin, careful of it sticking. Don’t worry about it falling apart, that’ll happen in the crock pot. Flip over and sear, then put in the crock pot on top of everything else.
- Lay the scallions across the top, sprinkle a little salt and the herbs, add the butter and cover.
- Set the crock pot at low for 6 hours, Walk away and get ready for dinner.
I served this with some sauteed collard greens, the bitter of the collards was a nice contrast to the sweetness that came from the sweet potato and saki. We really enjoyed this, I’ll definitely be making this again.