- Jun 20th 2012
Summer’s officially here a day early, today’s supposed to be a scorcher. When it gets into the 90′s hydration is crucial, by the time you’re thirsty, you’re already a bit dehydrated.
The best thing to drink is water, but sometimes I want a little flavor and don’t want some gross, over sweetened beverage that’s only going to make me thirstier. What do I do? Something stupid easy, I add things to the water to brighten it up a little. I get some flavor and good hydration without all the sugar, artificial crap and calories.
Next time you’re filling your water bottle add something to it to give it flavor, here’s some things I like to add, we’re talking quick and easy.
- A big sprig of fresh mint
- The juice from 1/2 a fresh lemon or lime.
- A 1 inch knob of peeled ginger (Ginger warms, but it will also help you to cool down through perspiration)
- A sprig of basil
- A few chunks of cucumber
- Some crushed berries, a 1/4 cup will be more than plenty
- A few pieces of peach, nectarine or plum
- A chunk of melon
- A splash of juice
- A few cherries cut in half
- A rib of celery, cut into chunks
You get the idea, trick is to keep it light. You want it to taste like water with a little flavoring, not like punch or a kid’s drink. Keep the sweeteners out, they’ll only make you thirstier.
Stinky? You’re not hydrated enough and you need to drink water. Soda, coffee, caffeine, energy drinks, sweet drinks and alcohol are all going to dehydrate you more. They may be great going down, but you’ll be paying for it soon after.
Make sure to keep yourself well hydrated, you’ll be cooler, healthier and more able to deal with the heat.