- Sep 3rd 2013
Celery is one of those vegetables that tends to get pushed aside for other sexier, veggies. It’s a pity, because it’s really good for us in many different ways.
I really love raw celery, the texture and color are always a welcome addition to salads. I’ve learned to go easy with it in juice and smoothies, the juice is pretty salty and intense. However, it rocks and I’m gonna give you 10 reasons why:
- Celery is a great source of vitamins, specifically, A,C,K and folate.
- Eat celery for calcium and potassium, there’s a good amount in even 1 stalk.
- Celery has protein! Not enough to eat on it’s own and get enough, but it does have some and it all adds up.
- Fiber! I large stalk has 1 gram or about 4% of your daily recommended dose.
- Celery has active phthalides, they relax the muscles of the arteries that regulate blood pressure by dilating the vessels. Phthalides also reduce stress hormones, which can cause blood vessels to constrict.
- Only 16 calories for 100 grams, that’s nuts, it takes more calories to digest than to eat it!
- Eat the leaves, they’re full of vitamin A which is great for the skin, eyes and mucus membranes.
- There are tons of flavinoids in celery, they protect us from lung, mouth and throat cancers.
- The seeds and root act as a diuretic, so if you’re feeling bloated, have a small pinch and relief will come.
- If you’re nursing, celery essential oil can help to produce more milk, check with an herbalist for details.
It’s amazing what good old celery can do for us, give it the respect it deserves and eat more.